:: Re: [DNG] Added desktop-live to the…
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Added desktop-live to the install guides
On 2019-01-01 15:40, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 13:51:58 -0600, golinux@??? wrote in message
> <80c73e7cb3edf956e191a56acaeb4f13@???>:
>
>> This useful information is beyond the scope of these INSTALL guides.
>> But there are already pages on the website that cover much of it.
>> Does it really need to be repeated?
>> https://devuan.org/os/releases
>> https://devuan.org/os/filenaming
>
> ..I'd say yes, we _are_ dealing with humans, the very source of human
> errors, some errors happen because humans have gold fish type attention
> spans that make them forget what they read in 2 minutes ago, often
> because they watch waaay too much TV. ;o)

Sadly, this is the world we live in.

>> desktop-live: refracta installer for bios or uefi (recommended for
>> reviews)
>
> ..this gives "tech" magazine writers the best impression to base their
> review story on?

It is the easiest way to have a quick look.

>> minimal-live: refracta installer console-based system (focus
>> on accessibility)
>
> ..this will work for blind people?

Yes. KatolaZ has worked extensively with the speakup community and the
iso has been tested by blind users on this list.

>> netinst: classic network installer, downloads packages from the
>> network
>
> ..we should add "all" or "ALL", saying "classic network installer,
> downloads ALL packages from the network."

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the base system installed from
the iso and only the choices made during the installation process
downloaded?

>> cd: classic CD installer with base packages (not recommended for
>> desktop)
>
> ..why not???

I had forgotten about that page. Yes that iso list from many years ago
needs to be harmonized with the revisions on the site.

>> > Rename to “What Installation image should I chose?”
>> >

>> There has to be a more concise way of saying that. ;) Minimalism
>> rules here. ;)
>
> ..some people need to be _told_ they can choose, before
> they will get off their ass choosing an option.

I'll try to find a happy medium.

>> That information is already on the index and get-devuan pages of the
>> website as well as one of the links posted above. Those who will not
>> seek will not find.
>
> ...and those who do not know or see they can or should seek, will not
> seek. Etc.

Exactly. Not Devuan's problem.

Cheers,

golinux