:: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks …
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks of the Devuan Installer
On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 08:19:31PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 14:36:45 +0000
> g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > Media partitioning, formatting
> > Configure mountpoints
> > Install Bootloader
> > Install Kernel, Modules & Firmware
> > Install Shell & package management software
> > Configure console
> > Configure network
> > Boot
> >
> > Discuss...
>
> Above all else, query the user for his/her preferences, and coach the
> user while making such decisions. Such decisions serve as input to your
> list, which seems quite complete to me.

I would be quite happy to write from scratch an installer that does
*exactly what is reported in that list* and nothing more. I mean,
something that just *installs the base system and a boot loader and
reboots you to the login prompt*.

However, I am pretty sure that 99.9% of the Devuaners would probably
find the result quite uncomfortable, inconvenient, skinny, and overly
archaic. The main reason being that they (we) are used to perform part
of the system configuration *at install time*, and we just don't
realise how many other different things are done by d-i under the
hood.

I am not debating on whether this is good or bad (I personally found
d-i a great leap forward, when it was first made available in Sarge).
I am just saying that no installer in any major distro since Anaconda
has done just that. Perhaps the only remaining one is the Void
installer, which I am again pretty sure 95% of the readers here will
consider "antiquate".

Be careful of what you wish: your wishes could become true... :)

> You know what would really be fun? An installer that asks *all* of the
> necessary questions right at the front, so you can walk away and do
> something else while it installs itself. I find installers that keep
> asking me questions every 10 minutes annoying.

You can use preseeding for that. And you are not asked any question at
all.

HND

KatolaZ