:: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks …
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks of the Devuan Installer
On 2018-12-15 19:19, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 14:36:45 +0000
> g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
>> Media partitioning, formatting
>> Configure mountpoints
>> Install Bootloader
>> Install Kernel, Modules & Firmware
>> Install Shell & package management software
>> Configure console
>> Configure network
>> Boot
>>
>> Discuss...
>
> Above all else, query the user for his/her preferences, and coach the
> user while making such decisions. Such decisions serve as input to your
> list, which seems quite complete to me.
>
> You know what would really be fun? An installer that asks *all* of the
> necessary questions right at the front, so you can walk away and do
> something else while it installs itself. I find installers that keep
> asking me questions every 10 minutes annoying.

That is way beyond what the users we are targeting need. We just want
to get them up and running with a graphical DE. Besides, information
already exists in pages accessed from a README.html on the disks that
use the debian-installer if anyone cares to look. I should know because
I was part of the team that got that together for ASCII. And of course
there are dev1fanboy's wiki pages. To me, the problem seems not to be
lack of information but lack of RTFM to which too many users today seem
allergic.

golinux