:: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks …
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks of the Devuan Installer
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 11:10:20 +0100, KatolaZ wrote in message
<20181216101020.h6zmiomznqqpmptf@???>:

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 08:19:31PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 14:36:45 +0000
> > g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
> >
> > > Media partitioning, formatting
> > > Configure mountpoints
> > > Install Bootloader
> > > Install Kernel, Modules & Firmware
> > > Install Shell & package management software
> > > Configure console
> > > Configure network
> > > Boot
> > >
> > > Discuss...
> >
> > Above all else, query the user for his/her preferences, and coach
> > the user while making such decisions. Such decisions serve as input
> > to your list, which seems quite complete to me.
>
> I would be quite happy to write from scratch an installer that does
> *exactly what is reported in that list* and nothing more. I mean,
> something that just *installs the base system and a boot loader and

...a ssh server and then...

> reboots you to the login prompt*.

...would be perfect.

..maybe have the installer fire up a ssh server if we tell it to with
e.g. " --ssh --ssh-keys-from-boot-server"?
I find ssh is handy while installing, even on the few boxes I set up
without ssh servers years ago.

> However, I am pretty sure that 99.9% of the Devuaners would probably
> find the result quite uncomfortable, inconvenient, skinny, and overly
> archaic. The main reason being that they (we) are used to perform part
> of the system configuration *at install time*, and we just don't
> realise how many other different things are done by d-i under the
> hood.
>
> I am not debating on whether this is good or bad (I personally found
> d-i a great leap forward, when it was first made available in Sarge).
> I am just saying that no installer in any major distro since Anaconda
> has done just that. Perhaps the only remaining one is the Void
> installer, which I am again pretty sure 95% of the readers here will
> consider "antiquate".
>
> Be careful of what you wish: your wishes could become true... :)
>

> > You know what would really be fun? An installer that asks *all* of
> > the necessary questions right at the front, so you can walk away
> > and do something else while it installs itself. I find installers
> > that keep asking me questions every 10 minutes annoying.
> >

> You can use preseeding for that. And you are not asked any question at
> all.
>
> HND
>
> KatolaZ

Scenarios always come in sets of three: