:: Re: [DNG] Devuan for Raspberry Pi f…
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan for Raspberry Pi fried SD CARD.
On Sun, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:41:48AM +0100, Edward Bartolo wrote:

> Recently I have been using a Raspberry Pi 3B, obviously powered with
> Devuan, to run as music player. Restarting it yesterday, I was
> dismayed to discover it would not boot properly anymore, with long
> lists of errors complaining about not being able to write to the SD
> CARD. The latter is not full. Examining it I found it is now

Just in case you are not aware of this, there is a huge market in fake
and substandard SD cards, often with the firmware modified to
fraudulently claim a larger capacity than the chips actually present.
That said, I don't think that they often fail into a read only mode.
The only time that I encountered that problem, the supplier replaced the
card.

sdtool (https://github.com/BertoldVdb/sdtool) may be useful if you don't
know about it.

I always check incoming cards with f3 (http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/)
which should detect fraudulent cards. Of course it uses up one
write/erase cycle, but that can't be helped.

So do you know that you have a genuine card purcahsed from a reliable
source?

Again, apologies if this is all old news.

ael