:: Re: [DNG] Devuan for Raspberry Pi f…
Author: info at smallinnovations dot nl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan for Raspberry Pi fried SD CARD.
On 02-12-18 11:41, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Recently I have been using a Raspberry Pi 3B, obviously powered with
> Devuan, to run as music player. Restarting it yesterday, I was
> dismayed to discover it would not boot properly anymore, with long
> lists of errors complaining about not being able to write to the SD
> CARD. The latter is not full. Examining it I found it is now
> permanently marked as read-only. Searching online for an explanatory
> cause, I learnt this occurs when the maximum number of write cycles is
> reached. So, the SD CARD, although brand new is now to be thrown away.
>
> The purpose of this email is to ask how to radically minimized write
> cycles to the SD CARD when I run Devuan for Raspberry Pi 3. I found a
> how-to which uses /tmp fs for frequently modified system files, but
> the user uses systemd and I do not want to have that.
>
> Can any good soul help, please?
> Thanks.

One dramatically sdcard saving option is to use noatime when mounting
your sdcard in /etc/fstab like

/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 0

It disables writing a timestamp when a file or directory has been
accessed. Other options i know of are using JFFS2 made for flash kind of
storage. Using aufs or unionfs which in fact create a readonly fs with
changes in RAM which can be write back to disk when your system shutdown
in a orderly fashion.

Grtz

Nick