:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On 22/11/18 at 16:25, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 22/11/2018 à 13:25, Alessandro Selli a écrit :
>> chown -R a-w /bin
>> chown -R a-w /sbin
>> chown -R a-w /lib
>
>     Sorry, I meant chmod.
>
>     Mounting read-only isn't more secure than marking a directory
> read-only. root can change it anytime in a single command.

   Do you think root cannot change anytime file's permissions on the
filesystem?

  Of course it adds security to the system, because if the filesystem
was mounted ro root HAS to remount it rw in order to be able to do
changes on the filesystem.  Should you only change file's permissions
you have NOT protected anything, because I inform you, on any Unix,
since the dawn of Unix time, ROOT CAN DO WHAT IT WANTS REGARDLESS OF
FILE PERMISSIONS!

  Didn't you know this?  Whom am I debating with, a Windows sysadmin, a
full time Valve gamer, a systemd developer?

  You are again blockheadedly ignoring the fact that read-only is *NOT*
the only setting that make sense changing on the /usr filesystem!  There
are several, and I already *twice* listed a few of them: nobarrier,
noatime, iversion, nodev, etc etc.

  Do you know so little of filesystem management or are you trolling?

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???