:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On 22/11/18 at 16:28, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 22/11/2018 à 13:42, terryc a écrit :
>> IME, absolutely nothing in real life works that way.
>> Do you dump all your clothes into one big bin or store them by say
>> type?
>
>     Files are stored in different directories, that's it for clean
> bookkeeping.

  So, you are in favour of retaining a slit / and /usr layout?  Good.

  What does it change if some have /usr mounted on a different device
compared to /?

> Making these directories mountpoint does not add any sort of ordering.

  Merging /usr to / does indeed take away ordering.

> Only the impression they are more secure.

  Different mount options do increase the system's overall security
*and*  they increase flexibility in other areas (like performance and
resiliency).

> My opinion is that impression is only an impression. Am I allowed to
> express my opinion without causing flames?

  In principle you are, but I do flame when I have to repeat for the
2^64th time reasons to have / split from / while the person I speak to
keep ignoring those points and repeating inconsequential matters that
either do not apply or are plain wrong.

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???