:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: golinux
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Rudeness can be productive. Re: /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On 2018-11-22 14:55, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> On 22/11/18 at 16:25, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 22/11/2018 à 13:25, Alessandro Selli a écrit :
>>> chown -R a-w /bin
>>> chown -R a-w /sbin
>>> chown -R a-w /lib
>>
>>     Sorry, I meant chmod.
>>
>>     Mounting read-only isn't more secure than marking a directory
>> read-only. root can change it anytime in a single command.
>

>    Do you think root cannot change anytime file's permissions on the
> filesystem?
>
>   Of course it adds security to the system, because if the filesystem
> was mounted ro root HAS to remount it rw in order to be able to do
> changes on the filesystem.  Should you only change file's permissions
> you have NOT protected anything, because I inform you, on any Unix,
> since the dawn of Unix time, ROOT CAN DO WHAT IT WANTS REGARDLESS OF
> FILE PERMISSIONS!
>
>   Didn't you know this?  Whom am I debating with, a Windows sysadmin, a
> full time Valve gamer, a systemd developer?
>
>   You are again blockheadedly ignoring the fact that read-only is *NOT*
> the only setting that make sense changing on the /usr filesystem!
> There
> are several, and I already *twice* listed a few of them: nobarrier,
> noatime, iversion, nodev, etc etc.
>

>   Do you know so little of filesystem management or are you trolling?

It seems you missed this good advice from Roger Leigh:

"Let me begin by stating that I found your reply (and others) to be
rude, unnecessarily aggressive, and lacking in well-reasoned objective
argument. It's poor communication like this which caused me to
unsubscribe from the Debian lists, and also to this list a good while
back (I only read the digest summary on occasion, and rarely
participate). I find it fosters an unfriendly, unpleasant and
unproductive environment which I don't enjoy working in. When you're
doing this type of work as a part-time volunteer, it's extremely
demotivating and disheartening to be treated this way. It would be
unacceptable in a professional setting, and it's equally unacceptable
here. Please do think about what you have written before sending it; it
costs nothing to be nice, even when you are in disagreement with
someone."

PThere is no need to be rude and insulting (often repeatedly). That
goes for everyone of us.

golinux