:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 06:21:01PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On 21/11/2018 16:11, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> > On 21/11/18 at 13:17, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I've been following the discussion with interest.
> >

> >   No, you definitely have not followed it.  In fact you are disregarding
> > all the points that were expressed against the merge.
>
> Let me begin by stating that I found your reply (and others) to be rude,
> unnecessarily aggressive, and lacking in well-reasoned objective argument.
> It's poor communication like this which caused me to unsubscribe from the
> Debian lists, and also to this list a good while back (I only read the
> digest summary on occasion, and rarely participate). I find it fosters an
> unfriendly, unpleasant and unproductive environment which I don't enjoy
> working in. When you're doing this type of work as a part-time volunteer,
> it's extremely demotivating and disheartening to be treated this way. It
> would be unacceptable in a professional setting, and it's equally
> unacceptable here. Please do think about what you have written before
> sending it; it costs nothing to be nice, even when you are in disagreement
> with someone.
>

> Before I follow up on any of the points you (and others) made in response,
> let me begin with some history you may be unaware of. It actually predates
> systemd, and is largely unrelated to systemd.

Dear Roger,

I wholehartedly thank you for your post. It has shown clearly how
little most of us (and I put myself in the lot) know about the whole
history and functioning of the stuff we use everyday.

This is exactly the kind of technical depth I was asking for in this
list a couple of days ago, and I am happy it eventually came from you.
My "research" in this direction (reviewing early-boot code and
changelogs and delving through several mailing lists) had not gotten
any close to the amount of information, context, knowledge and
motivations you provided in a single email.

I guess anybody willing to add even a comment to this thread must be
sure to have read, digested, understood, and internalised all the
content in Roger's email first.

And please do not forget his gentle but strong nudge regarding being
nice to other people, also and especially when you disagree with them.

ThankYou

KatolaZ