:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:38:24PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 13:09:59 +0100
> info at smallinnovations dot nl <info@???> wrote:
>
> > On 18-11-18 09:36, KatolaZ wrote:
> > > This is not gonna happen, given for instance the way our presence in
> > > debian-devel has been "cheered up" (with aggressive posts and
> > > personal insults). The truth is that too many people have a problem
> > > with other people not liking systemd and not wanting it around. So
> > > I am sorry but Devuan will stay around.
> > >
> > > HND
> > >
> > > KatolaZ
> >
> > That had been to be expected the origins of Devuan were not a polite
> > conversation and language used on this list against debian-devs still
> > contains harsh words.
>
> And proud of it. Debian's behavior in 2014 was inexcusable. Systemd is
> inexcusable except as a profit motive to Redhat. They laughed at Devuan
> and said it would never get off the ground. Devuan persists today, as
> an ever more popular distro, in spite of the stumbling blocks the
> Debian systemd afficianados throw into Debian.

Dear Steve,

as I said, there is no risk of Devuan being "assimilated" by Debian,
for several reasons which I don't need to explain here. It is also
true, anyway, that Devuan still pretty much depends on Debian for the
majority of its packages, as many other distributions do. If each
person willing to "kiss Debian goodbye forever" would be ready to
maintain 40/50 source packages, then we would need about 500 of them
to maintain all the packages that are available in ascii. This is the
size we are talking about. And we have just a fraction of that number.

Also, at the rate packages are currently built in Debian, we would
need something in the region of 250/300 build hosts. We have about 15,
at the moment, and that's already a good achievement IMHO.

Devuan has managed to remain around and to grow, despite all the
well-informed have repeatedly declared its death. But if Debian
disappears tomorrow, the well-informed would be probably proven right,
except maybe for something slightly larger than the base system, which
is what we can reasonably afford to maintain at the moment :)

Now, to get back to what really matters (packages, development,
releases, functionality), how are we doing with testing and packaging
runit scripts? Do you think we could have something to build for
experimental soon, so that we can test it more widely? It would be
really great to have runit as one of the supported init options in
Devuan.

HND

KatolaZ