:: [DNG] [FYI] Docker upgrade fails to…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] ..we need to keep an eye out for such systemd tricks causing DOS, was: [FYI] Docker upgrade fails to restart daemon
Subject: [DNG] [FYI] Docker upgrade fails to restart daemon
Hi,

I've been using Docker's docker-ce package for Debian (stretch) on
Devuan (ascii) just fine for quite a while. However, last night's
automated upgrade on two of my Devuan servers left them without a
running dockerd :-(

A quick `invoke-rc.d docker start` got the daemon back up but I still
had to restart up some of the containers manually :-(

The same upgrade went without any problems on a Debian server. Looks
like the Docker folks only cater to systemd setups :-(((

Upgrading from 18.06.1~ce~3-0~debian to 5:18.09.0~3-0~debian-stretch
also pulls in docker-ce-cli and containerd packages so it could be that
the issue is with one of these packages only catering to systemd setups.
If so, I suspect containerd but haven't looked at the pre- and postinst
scripts yet.

FTR, the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list on all three machines is

deb https://download.docker.com/linux/debian stretch stable edge

Hope this helps,