:: Re: [DNG] [FYI] Docker upgrade fail…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] [FYI] Docker upgrade fails to restart daemon
Subject: Re: [DNG] [FYI] Docker upgrade fails to restart daemon
Steve Litt writes:

> On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 22:13:16 +0900
> Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@???> wrote:
>
>> [ ... docker-ce upgrade fails to restart daemon on Devuan ... ]
>> [ ... same upgrade restarted daemon just fine on Debian ... ]
>> [ ... suspecting docker-ce to only cater to systemd ... ]

For the record, the approximately monthly upgrades of docker-ce have
been smooth sailing since 17.10 or thereabouts. This is the first time
I observed trouble.

> This kind of thing is exactly why I started running daemontools on top
> of sysvinit. I found that for some things, sysvinit was just to
> complicated to easily troubleshoot.
>
> Nobody uses daemontools anymore. They use runit (with the sysvinit
> pID1) instead.

When upgrading a package that provides a daemon, I expect the upgrade to
shut down the daemon provided by the old version and start the one from
the new version. I do not want anything to "muck" with that, be that
daemontools or anything else.
Keeping an otherwise running daemon running is a different story.

I checked to /var/lib/dpkg/info/docker-ce.{prerm,postinst} scripts. For
18.06.1~ce~3-0~debian these include calls to invoke-rc.d to stop and
start the daemon. As of 5:18.09.0~3-0~debian-stretch these calls are
gone. The only stop/start mechanism supported is systemd :-(
Ditto for containerd.io :-(

FWIW, I've submitted https://github.com/docker/for-linux/issues/482

Hope this helps,