:: Re: [DNG] [FYI] Docker upgrade fail…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [FYI] Docker upgrade fails to restart daemon
On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 22:13:16 +0900
Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using Docker's docker-ce package for Debian (stretch) on
> Devuan (ascii) just fine for quite a while. However, last night's
> automated upgrade on two of my Devuan servers left them without a
> running dockerd :-(
>
> A quick `invoke-rc.d docker start` got the daemon back up but I still
> had to restart up some of the containers manually :-(
>
> The same upgrade went without any problems on a Debian server. Looks
> like the Docker folks only cater to systemd setups :-(((
>
> Upgrading from 18.06.1~ce~3-0~debian to 5:18.09.0~3-0~debian-stretch
> also pulls in docker-ce-cli and containerd packages so it could be
> that the issue is with one of these packages only catering to systemd
> setups. If so, I suspect containerd but haven't looked at the pre-
> and postinst scripts yet.
>
> FTR, the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list on all three machines is
>
> deb https://download.docker.com/linux/debian stretch stable edge

This kind of thing is exactly why I started running daemontools on top
of sysvinit. I found that for some things, sysvinit was just to
complicated to easily troubleshoot.

Nobody uses daemontools anymore. They use runit (with the sysvinit
pID1) instead.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2018 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr