:: [DNG] ..we need to keep an eye out …
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] ..we need to keep an eye out for such systemd tricks causing DOS, was: [FYI] Docker upgrade fails to restart daemon
On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 22:13:16 +0900, Olaf wrote in message
<871s7uxukz.fsf@???>:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using Docker's docker-ce package for Debian (stretch) on
> Devuan (ascii) just fine for quite a while. However, last night's
> automated upgrade on two of my Devuan servers left them without a
> running dockerd :-(
>
> A quick `invoke-rc.d docker start` got the daemon back up but I still
> had to restart up some of the containers manually :-(
>
> The same upgrade went without any problems on a Debian server. Looks
> like the Docker folks only cater to systemd setups :-(((

..on installing atop, I found things going at a glacial pace, a
wee part of global climate change, and this fine new cron job:
root@box:~# cat /etc/cron.d/atop
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin

# daily restart of atop at midnight
0 0 * * * root if [ -d "/run/systemd/system" ]; then systemctl restart
atop; else /usr/share/atop/atop.daily \& ; fi

..commenting it out, "brought back life."

..we need to keep an eye out for such tricks causing such DOS.
root@box:~# dpkg -l atop |grep atop |fmt -tu
ii atop 2.2.6-4 amd64 Monitor for system resources and process activity

Scenarios always come in sets of three: