:: Re: [devuan-dev] Debian Buster rele…
Author: golinux
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support
On 2018-10-15 11:05, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> (I just subscribed to this list, so no need to Cc me.)
>
> Hello!
>
> I just like to make you aware of a discussion on debian-devel mailing
> list:
>
> Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/10/msg00151.html
>
> If no one steps up, sysvinit package might be removed from the Debian
> archive, which especially if init scripts are then also removed from
> packages by some maintainers makes it more difficult to maintain and
> develop Devuan as a distribution based on Debian.
>
> I do not know whether you like to cooperate and help with sysvinit
> maintenance in order to keep the package in Debian. But if you do, I
> suggest you do a first step and remove personal attacks from your IRC
> infobot:
>
> Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/10/msg00180.html
>
> Calling people "toxic" as Ansgar did in above mail, is of course also
> not helpful and I wrote him that.
>
> Thanks,

Nice to see you, Martin, and thank you for reaching out to us. I have
also been following that thread and found this interesting snippet
earlier today. It is not exactly a warm introduction to cooperation:

---------------------------------

> Is it worth interested parties reaching out to the Devuan project
> regarding person-power for sysvinit maintenance? As a derivative

I’m not sure, but I’d rather not, as a general case, unless there’s
one or more of theirs who’s willing to cooperate and able to keep
quality. Devuan is… questionable, when one’s used to all of Debian.

> distribution, I imagine their lives would become much harder if we did
> drop sysvinit; they would have to pay the cost of maintaining the

Several people have said they believe that to be the end of Devuan,
and I concur, from what I’ve read.

[Source: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/10/msg00181.html]

"Devuan is… questionable, when one’s used to all of Debian."

Really? There's not much of Debian missing in Devuan. Does Debian even
know what Devuan is? I think not.

". . . the end of Devuan"

Really? I smell fear of Devuan's success in that. Debian shouldn't get
ready to dance on Devuan's grave quite yet. ;)

As Christopher Barry said in his Aug 12 2014 Open letter to the Linux
World:

OneLinux == zero-choice

[Source: lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/1408.1/02496.html]

Hasn't that been the master plan from day one?

Cheers!

golinux