:: Re: [devuan-dev] [Fwd] Devuan: invi…
Author: Albert van der Horst
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] [Fwd] Devuan: invitation to join the Debian derivatives census
Daniel Reurich schreef op 2018-09-30 23:01:
> Hi,
>
> I think this is simply someone in Debian recognising that they have
> holes in information about derivatives.
>
> My thoughts are that we should participate, as it will do a lot to help
> smooth things over and give credence to our concerns, and be seen to be
> cooperative with debian.
>
> Also by listing Devuan as an official derivative of Debian, we gain a
> big benefit in allaying the concern that we are a small team
> maintaining
> a big distrobution on it's own. (I have had this discussion with some
> of my clients, who were concerned about Devuans sustainability. What
> convinced them to allow my use of Devuan for there systems was that
> most
> Debian packages are used unchanged, and where there where changes they
> are trivial changes to the Debian sources in order to remove the binary
> dependency of systemd.

The inportant question is, what is a derivative and is Devuan actually
a derivative?
I assume that if Debian went belly up here and now, Devuan would go
under with it. That makes Devuan a derivative in my book.
It is not a matter of a political choice.

> From what I can tell looking at the CensusQA templates, they will
> actually inform us of issues and announcements as they arise which
> would
> be very useful.
>
> Thus I think there is nothing to lose and much to gain by participating
> in the process. It will provide us with much needed information about
> what is going on in Debian, and provide us with a better relationship
> from which we can assert the need to prevent debian maintainers from
> going out of their way to break non-systemd packages.

That is a convoluted sentence. If you mean that we then are in a better
position to ask Debian to be considerate about non-systemd, I agree
with you.

--
Suffering is the prerogative of the strong, the weak -- perish.
Albert van der Horst