:: Re: [DNG] Debian testing drop redis
Author: Chris Lamb
To: Steve Litt, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian testing drop redis
Hi Steve,

> > I am the maintainer of Redis in Debian. All I have done is removed
> > some ill-conceived hooks that were not used by anyone. I have not
> > dropped sysvinit support and nor do I have any intention to do so. I
> > only ask politely that you do stop to refering to my work as
> > "vandalism".

[…]
> Are you sure everyone agrees that the hooks are ill-conceived, and are
> you sure *nobody* is using them?

Naturally, I have no idea whether someone on a desert island is using
them so that is an unfair question.

However, I have not heard of anyone using them (even when they were
buggy) and they are not only Debian-specific, there are much cleaner,
and uniform (ie. across all possible daemons) ways of doing such
things.

> > If I remember correctly, one reason for
> > becomig independent was to avoid Debian sabotage like we're appearing
> > to see now on redis.

This is not sabotage. I'm afraid I am running out of energy to expend on
this issue, especially when there seems to be a non-trivial amount of bad
faith on this list and I appear to have to repeat myself here and on the
Github issue that this has absolutely nothing to do with systemd etc.

> So just like we need to cut you a little slack, you need to cut us a
> little slack. Starting with the Kangaroo Court bug 727708
> (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708) and
> proceeding through the last-minute bogus alternative in the General
> Resolution, Debian has shown malace toward those wanting Linux to
> remain an OS with interchangeable parts and smal

I'm sorry but I do not have the energy, time, nor inclination to respond
to this kind of unnecessary provocation.

Regards,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb, Debian Project Leader 2017