:: Re: [DNG] Debian testing drop redis
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng, Chris Lamb
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian testing drop redis
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:50:26 +0100
Chris Lamb <lamby@???> wrote:

> Hi -dng,
>
> > […]
>
> I am the maintainer of Redis in Debian. All I have done is removed
> some ill-conceived hooks that were not used by anyone. I have not
> dropped sysvinit support and nor do I have any intention to do so. I
> only ask politely that you do stop to refering to my work as
> "vandalism".

Hi Chris,

Are you sure everyone agrees that the hooks are ill-conceived, and are
you sure *nobody* is using them? If so, then I apologize for
mentioning redis earlier in the thread when I said:

> If I remember correctly, one reason for
> becomig independent was to avoid Debian sabotage like we're appearing
> to see now on redis.

But Chris, please understand, Debian *has* done plenty of sabotage and
vandalism in the past, especially but not exclusively with the ramming
of systemd down everyone's throat, with no committment to continue to
support alternative inits and no committment to keep must-have-systemd
holloween code out of Debian-supplied software. In the opinions of many,
systemd is in itself a continuing sabotage and vandalism of GNU/Linux.

So just like we need to cut you a little slack, you need to cut us a
little slack. Starting with the Kangaroo Court bug 727708
(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708) and
proceeding through the last-minute bogus alternative in the General
Resolution, Debian has shown malace toward those wanting Linux to
remain an OS with interchangeable parts and small, minimally designed
inter-component interfaces, and some folks see the Debian project as
having no credibility, and defacing the OS as proxies for Poettering
and Redhat. Ask around: That opinion isn't Steve Litt's alone.

So thanks for letting us know your position and motives: I won't again
lump you with the rest of the Debian project, and am sorry I did it
the first time.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2017 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21