:: Re: [DNG] Gnome?
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gnome?
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 15:00:22 +0200
Narcis Garcia <informatica@???> wrote:

> El 18/09/17 a les 19:45, Steve Litt ha escrit:
> > Why in the world would you need Gnome?
>
> 1. Gnome is the desktop environment that better fits my criteria for
> unexperienced and normal people.
>
> 2. I select desktop software for hundreds of users, and 99% of users
> that already use desktop computers installed by me (hundreds more),
> use Gnome. I don't want to face another change like Gnome 2->3 was.
>
> 3. Why not?

The following points concern Gnome3. I had nothing against Gnome2, but
it's not available anymore.

a) Gnome is a pig: A serious resource consumer.

b) Gnome is tightly meshed with systemd. Even if somebody out there has
published a secret incantation to get it to work without systemd,
that incantation is unlikely to stay functional very long. In fact,
Redhat and Poettering have a demonstrated motive for Gnome not to
work without systemd.

c) Gnome may (or may not) be "intuitive" to illogically thinking
people, but with its "let me guess what you want and present it to
you" way of working, it consistently gets in the way of logical
people. And more people are logical than not. Give them a well
thought out, static hierchical menu system, and they'll know what to
do.

d) Gnome is a mesh of promiscuously communicating parts, with all the
feedback loops you'd expect, such that if one part malfunctions,
various hard to diagnose problems will appear in other parts.

e) Some of your hundreds of users will tweak their Gnome in various
ways, leading to maintenance headaches. Of course, this is true of
other WMDEs, but it's easier to do with Gnome, and with its manifold
higher number of knobs and levers, harder to put it back into
functionality.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr