:: Re: [Dng] Towards systemd-free pack…
Author: Jude Nelson
To: Jaromil
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] Towards systemd-free packages
Hey Jaromil,

I'm interested in maintaining dbus, but I don't quite understand the
proposed workflow for base packages. It sounds Jenkins will pull the
sources nightly from Debian (not upstream) and try to build Debian packages
from them, but with the Devuan versioning scheme. If so, is there a
standard way to ensure that the correct build flags get set (i.e. to
disable systemd support and remove systemd dependencies)? Is this what the
Devuan SDK is meant to address in a systematic fashion?

Also, it sounds like being a maintainer for a Devuan package that depends
on systemd will be a somewhat different job than maintaining
non-systemd-dependent packages. If the package stops building due to an
added hard-dependency on systemd, the maintainer might be forced to revert
to an old version of the package permanently, keep an increasingly large
patch set to keep systemd dependencies out, or fork the package outright.

This situation sounds a lot like the situation that BSD porters find
themselves in, but on a smaller scale since unlike Devuan maintainers, BSD
porters must compile out all Linux-specific features. I almost wonder if
Devuan maintainers should reach out to them and share code and issues--I
suspect the tasks before us all will be very similar, and forming a good
working relationship with them (and with other non-systemd Linux distros)
could be mutually beneficial. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
-Jude