:: Re: [Dng] Towards systemd-free pack…
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Towards systemd-free packages
dear Jude,

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015, Jude Nelson wrote:

>    Hey everyone,
>    Is there a list somewhere that has the packages in Jessie that depend on
>    some part of systemd?* I'd like to get the ball rolling on compiling out
>    systemd dependencies for Devuan packages, but I don't want to duplicate
>    anyone's efforts.

here the current thread on this
https://git.devuan.org/devuan/devuan-project/issues/6

Over the weekend I've assessed the first minimal group of packages,
processed them via the new Devuan SDK and committed them on our
packages-base git https://git.devuan.org/groups/packages-base
If you like to adopt maintainance of a package there, please open an
issue and I'll give you write access. The package-base repos will be
automatically pulled by our Jenkins, compiled and if succesful put into
the Devuan package repository, so all the work can be done here.

About systemd extirpation: the real culprit is bsdutils, aka util-linux,
that Debian has tied to systemd because of the logger. What a paradox to
have 'bsdutils' bound to systemd.... however...

I'm still in an early stage of development and haven't yet completed the
SDK with functions to test the installer, however this is my current
approach at cleaning up util-linux, touching as less as possible
https://git.devuan.org/packages-base/util-linux/commit/a51bce5830336af3c5ec9da6de95af926c1b1609

Once compiled and installed into a Devuan schroot, it allows to remove
libsystemd0 and then sysvinit gets installed automatically, without
warnings about removing a core component.

I'll let the dust settle now and look at Franco's push on the CI.
My next steps on the SDK will be update the documentation and work on
the installer and livecd baking mechanism.

My guess now is that we'll have i386 and amd64 as available
architectures for a start and arm will come slightly later.

ciao

--
Jaromil, Dyne.org Free Software Foundry (est. 2000)
We are free to share code and we code to share freedom