:: Re: [DNG] Re (2): cross install bi…
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Re (2): cross install bind mount question
On Fri, Oct 18, 2024 at 12:54:14PM +0200, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Friday 18 October 2024 at 12:44:31, Haines Brown via Dng wrote:
>
> > My effort at cross install messes up my system.
>
> How are you trying to do it?

The guide I used is
https://austinjadams.com/blog/install-debian-with-debootstrap/
But I modified it.

I'm installing devuan on a second SDD on a mahine that has it
already installed on in initial SSD. For some reason the second disk
got the name nvme0n1 whild the orignal SSD with the operating system
alraedy on it was name dnvm1n1. In my experience wiht HDs, this
makes no sense.

  I partitioned the target SSD wih gdisk
  I formatted the non-swap artitions with mkfs.ext4
  Etc re swap
  I create a hierarchy of mount points in /mnt/devinst/
  I mount the new partions on target SSD on the mount pionts in
    /mnt/devinst/
  I run debootstrap
     # debootstrap --arch amd64 daedalus /mnt/devinst/
  I then configure the base system
    # LANG=C.UTF-8 chroot /mnt/devinst /bin/bash
    # apt-get install makedev
    # mount none /proc -t proc
    # MAKEDEV generic
  Outside the choot I do
    # mount /dev /mnt/devinst/dev
    # create a /etc/fstab file
    # mount -a

This is as far as I got, but I broke my system only after I do a lot
of fumbling about.

austinjadams_com_blog_install_debian_with_debootstrap.pdf

> Also, it would be helpful to tell us exactly what you mean by "cross install":
> what are you trying to install, and on what type of system?

I guess I managed to answer the the qestion above. It Daedalus I'm
installiing. Not clear what you mean by "type of system". It is
desktop machine.

If I reboot the machine I'll not be able to open terminals unless the
problem is magically fixed. This means I'll be dead in the water. I
can boot to a devuan-live key and install the operating systgem to the
new SSD, but I have pressing question. The installer says it will
install to the new SSD but will use the efi the old SSD. Is this
right? Can I tell it to go ahead? This is an OT question but posed it
before and got no answer.

--

     Haines Brown