:: Re: [DNG] Why C/C++ ?
Author: Andreas Messer
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why C/C++ ?
Am Fri, Aug 09, 2024 at 07:59:51AM -0400 schrieb Dan Purgert via Dng:
> On Aug 09, 2024, Didier Kryn wrote:
> > contains a lot of pitfalls. There is a new, more secure language,
> > which has the distinctive feature of having been accepted into the
> > Linux kernel: Rust, but it is not yet stable.
>
> Nor does it work on microcontrollers ;)

Huh? You can of course already use rust on microcontrollers. If you
want to use rust, the way to go is rustc which is based on llvm. Not
sure if gcc and rust will become friends at some time but llvm is
not the badest choice regarding performance. Actually ARM has
migrated its official toolchain from gcc to clang. Here you go:

https://docs.rust-embedded.org/book/intro/install.html

I currently still prefer C++, even on 8-bitters but seems rust will
be something to consider. Another, not very well known, ancient
language used for embedded system programming is "ada". You will find
it in mission critical systems, typically defense and space usecases.

https://learn.adacore.com/courses/Ada_For_The_Embedded_C_Developer/chapters/04_Embedded.html

br
Andreas

--
gnuPG keyid: 8C2BAF51
fingerprint: 28EE 8438 E688 D992 3661 C753 90B3 BAAA 8C2B AF51