:: Re: [DNG] Why C/C++ ?
Author: Dan Purgert
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why C/C++ ?
On Aug 10, 2024, onefang wrote:
> On 2024-08-09 07:59:51, Dan Purgert via Dng wrote:
> > > >

> > >     Fully agree about C. [...]
> > >
> > >     The problem of C is that it is much more subtle than it looks, and it
> > > contains a lot of pitfalls. There is a new, more secure language,
> > > which has the distinctive feature of having been accepted into the
> > > Linux kernel: Rust, but it is not yet stable.
> >
> > Nor does it work on microcontrollers ;)
> >
> > (...yet)
>
> Um, C works fine for microcontrollers. When I programmed that tiny (RAM
> less than a kilobyte) microcontroller in assembler to create a USB
> keyboard (plus some extras that the client needed) last decade, there was
> indeed an example written in C already.
>
> Or did you mean Rust and Linux don't work on microcontrollers?

Rust; though admittedly I may have missed news that someone made it work.

C/C++ is /the/ language for microcontrollers -- least they're the only
languages I really see anyone in the IRC channels I hang out in talking
about -- some of us will talk assembly, but it's niche.

"Arduino" too (but that's somewhat more restricted specifically to the
"#arduino" channel).

--
|_|O|_|