:: Re: [DNG] onefang needs a new serve…
Author: onefang
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] onefang needs a new server rental company.
On 2024-08-09 11:56:57, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> onefang wrote:
> > G'day Devuaners.
> >
> > For those that don't know, I'm the Devuan package mirror herder, and I
> > run the sledjhamr.org Devuan ISO and package mirror. Sledjhamr.org needs
> > a new home, I can't afford the current home.
>
> Not sure the resource requirements for the devuan mirror
> only, but I've used the shared hosting services of
> freeshell.de gratis for twenty years.
>
> > So right now I'm paying 131 Euros for my server.
> >
> > I need 32 GB of RAM, 700 GB to 1 TB of storage. Can't afford RAID.
> > Currently it's an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v6 @ 3.50GHz, something
> > similar but preferably AMD I'd like to switch to, could work with
> > something less, but not much less. Currently with 3 IPv4s and a IPv6/??.
> > Bandwidth is nice and large, with great connectivity in central Europe.
>
> You could try talking to the freeshell administrator,
> Sebastian Krajenski. He also founded a commercial hosting
> business, https://www.mars-solutions.de, that is looking for
> help.

That'll be freeshell.de? A quick look says it's "family friendly" with
no adult content. My OpenSim virtual world includes peoples avatars
having sex, or just being nude, as do lots of OpenSim virtual worlds, and
the original Second Life that OpenSim is based on. Don't think I have
ever visited an OpenSim virtual world that didn't allow sex. Yes you can
mark certain parts of your virtual world as "General" or "Adult".

Also every OpenSim world sends textures to the viewers unencrypted, which
includes the textures of avatars skins, which are nude skins. Lots of
them are even anatomically correct. Due to the nature of the way in
which things appear in your viewer, it sometimes happens that the first
time you see an avatar, some or all of it's clothes haven't arrived in
your viewer yet, so you'll accidently see nudity every now and then.

Mind you, if the world just got over this "nudity is evil and will
corrupt minds" bullshit...

Seems to be a few other free shell type servers. I wonder if any of them
run Devuan? Didn't see that in the list I found.