:: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running i…
Author: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running into issues with python and its tools
On Tue, Aug 6, 2024 at 3:56 PM Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 06/08/2024 à 18:23, o1bigtenor via Dng a écrit :
>

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2024 at 9:37 AM Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
>> Le 04/08/2024 à 19:55, Steve Litt a écrit :
>> > o1bigtenor via Dng said on Sat, 3 Aug 2024 12:30:27 -0500

>> > C++ sucks, but can't you do it in just plain C?
>> >

>>      After looking (in diagonal) at the rest of the thread, seems that
>> Python also sucks!

>> (Snickering!) I might not disagree with you but it seems to me (not an
> expert)
> that the Debian ecosystem has made certain choices which the negative side
> of I've been running into. Seems also that a lot of python 'experts' are
> coming
> from a Windows background so there is little understanding of the OS -
> -python
> interface as Windows does what it wants and python is stuck on top and
> that
> makes things different in some fundamental ways - - -at least imo.
>
> HTH
>
> (still snickering!!)
>
>     Never programmed in Python, but, as the admin of a few servers during
> a decade, I kinda understood that successive Python versions in Debian were
> all incompatible and applications needed to be changed with every release.

>     Are you meaning that Python is a Windows thingy?  That would be a
> pitty, considering in the University I was last, this was the language
> taught to students.

Well - - - I'm just a noobie idjit but python2x and python3x are relatively
incompatible.
This incompatibility was enhanced because so many refused to change their
code even some 6 and 8 years after python 2 was last considered in support.
AIUI there still is plenty of python2 code working out there.

No Python is not a Windows thingy but it seems to me that there is much
more work
being down on python by those from a windows background than nose from a
*nix
one and that is starting to show.
(In a 'help' list the most common question is something like "I installed
python in
my win box and now it won't run (python code)". Oh well - - - *nix is not
a desktop
majority so one needs to persevere! - - - I'm trying!)

Regards