:: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running i…
Author: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running into issues with python and its tools
On Tue, Aug 6, 2024 at 5:24 PM Tom via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> > On 7 Aug 2024, at 00:37, Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
> >     After looking (in diagonal) at the rest of the thread, seems that
> Python also sucks!

> > --     Didier

> The main problem with python that causes trouble for everyone is python
> packaging. Long ago, Guido van Rossum declared that packaging was not a
> concern of the core python team and would be left for others to work on.
>
> This has lead to python packaging being a complete mess that doesn’t
> integrate well with the rest of the language and needing “features” like
> virtual environments that don’t exist for other programming languages.
>
> This is what causes the need for things like PEP 668 to stop users
> stomping on the system python environment and breaking things.
> Unfortunately this won’t change as long as the core python team refuses to
> take ownership of python packaging.

It has been one incredible odyssey getting what should have been at least
somewhat straightforward up and ready.

Any suggestions on how to approach getting python packaging improved?

(Given my experience - - - goofy stuff where I needed to add a number of
libblah-dev versions something needs to be done - - what can I do to help
the change?)

Regards