:: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running i…
Author: Dan Purgert
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running into issues with python and its tools
On Aug 06, 2024, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 06/08/2024 à 18:23, o1bigtenor via Dng a écrit :
> > (Snickering!) I might not disagree with you but it seems to me (not an
> > expert)
> > that the Debian ecosystem has made certain choices which the negative
> > side
> > of I've been running into. Seems also that a lot of python 'experts' are
> > coming
> > from a Windows background so there is little understanding of the OS -
> > -python
> > interface as Windows does what it wants and python is stuck on top and
> > that
> > makes things different in some fundamental ways - - -at least imo.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > (still snickering!!)
>
>     Never programmed in Python, but, as the admin of a few servers during a
> decade, I kinda understood that successive Python versions in Debian were
> all incompatible and applications needed to be changed with every release.
>
>     Are you meaning that Python is a Windows thingy?  That would be a
> pitty, considering in the University I was last, this was the language
> taught to students.

It's not -- it's more that windows doesn't rely on Python to do anything
"important" (unlike a lot of tools in Linux), so breaking changes every
point-release don't really matter to them. On the whole, it's not a
"bad" language per se, but that inability for the main developers to not
introduce breaking changes to every N'th minor release is quite
detrimental. You'd think they'd have figured that out by now.

--
|_|O|_|