:: Re: [DNG] Firefox 128 leaks user da…
Author: Wolfgang Pfeiffer
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Firefox 128 leaks user data
On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 07:45:31PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Oh my, I just wrote it:
>
>Browsers are hard these times.
>
>Mozilla did it again:
>
>https://blog.privacyguides.org/2024/07/14/mozilla-disappoints-us-yet-again-2/

I just downloaded a fresh version of firefox 128 from
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest-ssl&os=linux64&lang=en-US

Removed ~/.mozilla , ~/cache/mozilla from previous versions.
Unpacked, started firefox 128

One of the first two tabs that were opened after starting this new
firefox was this page - please read it carefully:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/firefox/

Big and fat we read:
"By default, Mozilla processes your Firefox personal data to:"

or

"If you use these features, Firefox will share data to provide you
functionality and help us improve our products and services:"

Immediately any user concerned with his data would search around
mozilla help and settings pages .. and find and switch off "features"
like that "Allow websites to perform privacy-preserving ad
measurement" setting. But is it a Mozilla fault if the user doesn't
care? I doubt it ..

>I hope one day browsers will be developed with ethical integrity again.

Like, a car seller who once might be forced by law to warn buyers of a
car to better not check the fill of their car's gasoline tank with a
lighter? And put him to prison if he doesn't warn and a customer blows
his head off?

Any OS caring about their user's safety is free to either disable the
telemetry in firefox as a default setting or at least with the user's
first startup of the newly installed Firefox load the mozilla intro
page mentioned above.

--
Wolfgang