:: Re: [DNG] Firefox 128 leaks user da…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Firefox 128 leaks user data
On Monday 15 July 2024 at 23:44:35, Marjorie Roome via Dng wrote:

> On Mon, 2024-07-15 at 19:45 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >
> > If you use Firefox 128 I suggest you turn this "feature" off.
>
> The next version of firefox-esr is based on firefox 128, replacing 115.
>
> Do we know whether the default to 'on' for this new option "Allow web
> sites to perform privacy-preserving ad measurement" will be replaced by
> 'off' in what will be standard version of firefox in the Debian/Devuan
> repositories?

Personally I doubt this. If Debian chooses to make this change then Devuan
will of course inherit it, but otherwise I'm not sure I would want to see
Devuan itself making such a modification, since Devuan is focused on init
system choice, and specifically the avoidance of systemd, not privacy or
security (well, no more than Debian is focused on privacy or security).

There are privacy-oriented distributions (and browsers) available, and I don't
think the Devuan project should blur the boundaries of what it's for.

Antony.

--
Tinned food was developed for the British Navy in 1813.

The tin opener was not invented until 1858.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.