:: Re: [DNG] Void Linux Presentation a…
Author: al3xu5
To: dng
CC: zoninoz
Subject: Re: [DNG] Void Linux Presentation at Phoenix LUG, 7/11/2024 7PM Mountain Standard Time
Thu, 11 Jul 2024 15:38:16 +0200 - Gianluca Zoni via Dng <dng@???>:

> Il 11-07-24, 13:03, Peter Duffy <peter@???> ha scritto:
> > I personally found Steve's post very interesting.
> > Characteristics of one linux distribution are clearly relevant to
> > others, and changes in one distribution may have an effect on others -
> > beneficial or not.

+1

> mine wasn't a polemical question: I would just like to understand
> what should be interesting in someone who talks about something
> that - no one knows why - is not for everyone but only for
> someone,

perhaps the reason is the same as why what you are now trying to understand
should be interesting to others...

moreover... I think there are very few things that can really interest anyone
and not just someone

> in a certain place inaccessible and unattainable for
> almost all the members to the list. I just want to understand
> this mystery.

again... I believe very few things can be accessible and attainable for
everyone...

> However, just to increase the suspense, I would like to remind
> everyone, in any case, that the United States of America is NOT
> the center of the world: best wishes for your interesting chat
> with friends under the stairs.

it is very true that the USA is not the center of the world, but above all in
the IT field it is (for better or for worse) a rather important place: should
we ignore it? should we ignore everything that is not the center of the
world, or that does not apply to everyone?

diversity and differences are the basis of any form of life (human or not)
and of every (true) democracy... uniformity and homogenisation are unhealthy
(and one of the bases of all absolutism)

talking here about Devuan and Void (or BSD or Arch or any other system), or
talking here about LXDE and KDE (or any other DE or WM), or talking here
about SysvInit and systemd or runit (or any other init)... all this is to
increase knowledge and awareness... I'm fine with it, and I think this is the
right place

and if some topic or discussion doesn't interest me, then I simply ignore the
thread... or if the topics and discussions on a mailing list don't interest
me, I simply unsubscribe

> Personally, it wouldn't even occur to me to write in an
> international mailing list about my public speech somewhere in
> in the middle of nowhere, unless it's a truly international
> public context on a topic that concerns the same list:

Devuan is dynamic, it evolves... knowing the world around is important and,
in my opinion, completely in-topic

> writing this seems stupidly narcissistic to me. We're not on the mailing
> list of a neighborhood LUG

I find any evaluation on such a personal level completely inappropriate

> many readers of this mailing list are forced to use a foreign
> language: we should have respect for those who read these emails
> and are not part of the small group of friends in the
> neighborhood next door

as true as it may be, and as much as I myself agree that it is not a
desirable reality, but it happens that - for many reasons that this is not
the place to delve into - in many fields (IT first and foremost) English is
the language "common" that is used in any international context

we can disagree, we can try to change things, but, excuse me, introducing
this topic here and now doesn't seem to make much sense to me

> therefore, not being able to participate, as I imagine almost all
> of the subscribers to the list do,

I don't know and I don't have objective elements to know (do you have any?)
so I refrain from imagining

> I renew my request: what is
> interesting to listen to, if it's not OT?

see above...

in any case, I would like it to stop discussing rules and policies,
especially on a personal level, this list has always managed very well
without them, and should continue to do so...

especially lately, now that there seems to be almost an attempt by some
(autonomous or "guided" trolls -- Gianluca, I'm not addressing you, I mean in
general) to create disturbance... so, I would ask everyone to ignore these
attempts and these people

best regards
alexus

--
The only way humans have learned to survive brings them to extinction.
Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B