:: Re: [DNG] controlling javascript
Author: al3xu5
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] controlling javascript
Fri, 12 Jul 2024 20:44:25 +0200 - marc <marcxdv@???>:

> > Is there a way for me (besides not using web browsers) of limiting the
> > access of javascript into my system?
>
> Well, noscript and other plugins do help.

Indeed.

I suggest -- as far as possible or reliable -- using a privacy focused
browser and privacy plugins

now I am trying LibreWolf, with Enhanced Tracking Protection in Strict mode,
with those plugins: uBlock, PrivacyBadger, Disconnect, Disable WebRTC

> There might also still
> be an about:config option in firefox to disable javascript totally.

or, with firefox-like browsers, you can try the Disable JavaScript (or
another similar) plugin to customize the default JS state (on or off),
the disable behavior (by domain or by tab) etc...

> Running the browser from an account without access to multimedia
> devices and confidential files can help too. Just create an
> account which belongs in the same group as your primary
> account, and with the right umask, .Xauthority and su(do) configs
> you can launch firefox with much reduced privileges.

uhm... this is interesting to me
please could you give more details, better if with a complete example?
thanks in advance

> Another option is to
> dns blacklist domains which server no-good javascript. At
> home I block all of facebook and google (yep, including
> youtube) and I like to think that this slows down
> my cognitive decline too.

Indeed... I do something similar using unbound...

Regards
alexus

--
The only way humans have learned to survive brings them to extinction.
Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B