:: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-gtk -- vers…
Author: al3xu5
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-gtk -- versions? dhcp? unbound?
Hi aitor

Sorry for the delay, I was doing some testing also related with dhcpcd5 |
isc-dhcp-client and unbound (see below)...

Mon, 22 Apr 2024 02:07:11 +0200 - aitor <aitor_czr@???>:

> [...]
> Sorry for my delay, I've been fixing a bug in the vte terminal of the Gtk2
> version and now packages are available in both Gtk2 and Gtk3:
>
> https://packages.gnuinos.org/gnuinos/pool/main/s/simple-netaid-gtk
>
> If you install it via apt, then simple-netaid-cdk, nl-monitor and
> simple-netaid-vte3 will be removed while libnetaid and snetaid will be
> updated to versions 1.5.2 and 1.5.3, respectively. You need the most recent
> versions of them. Another package will be installed as well:
> netaid-monitor. This package will replace to nl-monitor in next versions of
> the ncurses interface (work in progress).

I have successfully installed the simple-netaid-gtk2 (testing on a Devuan VM)
via apt.

Then I tried to install simple-netaid-vte3 (which requires to uninstall
simple-netaid-gtk).

In both cases when launching from command line there are some gobject/gtk
complains (for example see:
https://bin.disroot.org/?3bd3211e4663e58a#7yJJN49HnX7MratDGKLwn8suNtMS11QYnztUMft1bfA2)
and then simple-netaid starts...

> If you are in xfce, I recommend you to add a "simple-netaid-gtk.desktop"
> file to your ~/.config/autostart containing something like this:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Type=Application
> Name=Simple-netaid-gtk
> Exec=/bin/sh -c 'sleep 5; simple-netaid-gtk --systray'
> StartupNotify=false
> Terminal=false

I am on LXDE which is similar...

I suggest the snetaid installer should:
- put a copy of the snetaid png icon in /usr/share/icons (so that the desktop
entry could have Icon=SinpleNetaid)
- create the netaid and snetaid groups (I had to manually create them...)

> If you have runit as init, I also recommend you to put a regular file named
> "down" in the runit service directory of dhcpcd (i.e. /etc/sv/dhcpcd).
> Otherwise, if you disconnect advisedly any network device, the runit
> service will try to connect it again and again afterwards, unless you bring
> down the interface. This is the reason why I leave dhcpcd normally downed
> in runit.

I have sysvinit. dhcpcd service is downed.

> The config file (gtk.ini) is installed at /etc/simple-netaid, and therein
> are defined not only the ubus calls, but also the names of the wired and
> wireless interface you want to use (one for each). In previous versions
> they were autodetected, but this way one can choose between different
> devices in case of several wired/wireless interfaces. For instance, between
> an internal wlan or a wifi usb adapter.
>
> For example, the first lines of the default gtk.ini are:
>
> [devices]                        ; Network interfaces
> wired_device=eth0
> wireless_device=wlan0
>
> [commands]                   ; Custom commands
> wired_on = ubus call ering.netaid interface_up '{ "ifname": "%e" }'
> wired_off = ubus call ering.netaid interface_down '{ "ifname": "%e" }'
>
> ... etc.
>
> On the other hand, don't forget to pay attention to your
> /etc/network/interfaces required by ifupdown.

Nice... but... How should be the content of /etc/network/interfaces?

I have some problems here (I suppose probably related to ifdown).

What if I want /etc/network/interfaces define only the loopback interface
(this, for example, to handle dhcp for eth0 directly by dhcpcd)?

Simple-netaid-gtk says 'Connected to eth0', but I cannot bring down eth0
(the message is: 'ifdown: unknown interface eth0)...
and running:
$ sudo ubus call ering.netaid ifdown '{ "ifname": "eth0" , "tty": 2 }'
apparently do noting (eth0 say up)...

Maybe bringing interfaces up/down with the more portable ifconfig
(ifconfig <interface> up|down) instead of ifup ifdown could be a solution?

I don't know... I'm quite confused...

> > Should I first replace isc-dhcp-client with dhcpcd?
>
> Apt will take care of that, I could put it in debian/control file as an
> alternative to dhcpcd, that is:
>
> Depends: dhcpcd5 | isc-dhcp-client
>
> but finally I decided to put it in the *conflicts* entry, as it is
> unmaintainded and, supposedly, shouldn't work together with the dhcpcd.
> What do you think of this?

isc-dhcp-client is unmantained and probably is not a good idea have it
together with the dhcpcd.

But devuan|debian packages do not conflicts. More, the replacement of
isc-dhcp-client with dhcpd may require the user to make various adjustments
in the configurations (e.g. for resolvconf and unbound, as well as for dhcpd
itself), as is in my case.

So I think let "Depends: dhcpcd5 | isc-dhcp-client" could be better than put
it in the Conflicts: entry, leaving the decision up to the user... it will
eventually be the distribution that will establish the conflict between the
packages.

> > And do I need to change something in the unbound configuration?
>
> I'm not familiar with unbound, but i think that it should work with dhcpcd
> as well... I'll give it a shot.
>
> Thanks for your interest in simple-netaid! Gnuinos images will be updated
> as soon as possible.

Thanks for your work and support.

Regards
alexus

--
The only way humans have learned to survive brings them to extinction.
Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B