:: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-gtk -- vers…
Author: aitor
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-gtk -- versions? dhcp? unbound?
Hi,

On 20/4/24 11:18, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:
> Uhm... I am with:
>
>    libnetaid 1.4
>    simple-netaid-cdk 1.5
>    simple-netaid-vte3 0.4.2
>    snetaid 1.5

> and still with isc-dhcp-client with unbound 1.17.1 (which I have as a local
> recursive not authoritative caching DNS server).
>
> Some doubts... please help me :
>
> Should I need to update some snetaid package (from gnuinos repositories)?

Sorry for my delay, I've been fixing a bug in the vte terminal of the Gtk2 version and now packages are available in both Gtk2 and Gtk3:

https://packages.gnuinos.org/gnuinos/pool/main/s/simple-netaid-gtk

If you install it via apt, then simple-netaid-cdk, nl-monitor and simple-netaid-vte3 will be removed while libnetaid and snetaid will be updated
to versions 1.5.2 and 1.5.3, respectively. You need the most recent versions of them. Another package will be installed as well: netaid-monitor.
This package will replace to nl-monitor in next versions of the ncurses interface (work in progress).

If you are in xfce, I recommend you to add a "simple-netaid-gtk.desktop" file to your ~/.config/autostart containing something like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Simple-netaid-gtk
Exec=/bin/sh -c 'sleep 5; simple-netaid-gtk --systray'
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false

If you have runit as init, I also recommend you to put a regular file named "down" in the runit service directory of dhcpcd (i.e. /etc/sv/dhcpcd).
Otherwise, if you disconnect advisedly any network device, the runit service will try to connect it again and again afterwards, unless you bring
down the interface. This is the reason why I leave dhcpcd normally downed in runit.

The config file (gtk.ini) is installed at /etc/simple-netaid, and therein are defined not only the ubus calls, but also the names of the wired
and wireless interface you want to use (one for each). In previous versions they were autodetected, but this way one can choose between different
devices in case of several wired/wireless interfaces. For instance, between an internal wlan or a wifi usb adapter.

For example, the first lines of the default gtk.ini are:

[devices]                        ; Network interfaces
wired_device=eth0
wireless_device=wlan0

[commands]                   ; Custom commands
wired_on = ubus call ering.netaid interface_up '{ "ifname": "%e" }'
wired_off = ubus call ering.netaid interface_down '{ "ifname": "%e" }'

... etc.

On the other hand, don't forget to pay attention to your /etc/network/interfaces required by ifupdown.

> Should I first replace isc-dhcp-client with dhcpcd?

Apt will take care of that, I could put it in debian/control file as an alternative to dhcpcd, that is:

Depends: dhcpcd5 | isc-dhcp-client

but finally I decided to put it in the *conflicts* entry, as it is unmaintainded and, supposedly, shouldn't work together with the dhcpcd.
What do you think of this?

> And do I need to change something in the unbound configuration?

I'm not familiar with unbound, but i think that it should work with dhcpcd as well... I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for your interest in simple-netaid! Gnuinos images will be updated as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Aitor.