:: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get ol…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get old
Le 07/04/2024 à 18:40, Steve Litt a écrit :
> My 3 kids went straight from MS-DOS to Linux, having Linux throughout
> their 4 years of high school. But when they went to college they got
> Windows laptops, and never came back to Linux. When they year me talk
> about Linux and modularity, they roll their eyes as if to say "there
> goes Dad on his soapbox again." Nowadays their whole world is their
> cell phones: Computers are gaming appliances. They won't miss what we
> were privileged to have.

    I'm the same age as you but have only 2 kids. None of them is
concerned about free software. Though I was a Physicist, none ot them is
concerned about any kind of science. Our kids have their own personality.

    Linux and Unix are for a minority of activists, and, some big
hardware-makers and web service providers. The majority of population is
dummies and is going to remain so. They have no idea of how it works and
don't care.

    As an example, I received a few days ago a collection of photos and
sentences from a former french humorist. All contained in an
html-formatted email. I wanted to save it as an html file and discovered
I needed some editor work to make it just work. Therefore I had the
opportunity to read the source. It contains 90% crappy nested <div> and
plus meaningless and useless id="60-random-or-so-characters" parameters.
Clearly it has been assembled by a dummy with the help of a crappy
commercial tool. Of course, the images are not contained but included as
external links. The result looks OK but the bandwidth and disk space are
damatically wasted. That's how bandwidth, diskspace and cpu power
increases are used for nowadays.

--     Didier