:: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get ol…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get old
On Mon, Apr 08, 2024 at 05:04:32PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 07/04/2024 à 18:40, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > My 3 kids went straight from MS-DOS to Linux, having Linux throughout
> > their 4 years of high school. But when they went to college they got
> > Windows laptops, and never came back to Linux. When they year me talk
> > about Linux and modularity, they roll their eyes as if to say "there
> > goes Dad on his soapbox again." Nowadays their whole world is their
> > cell phones: Computers are gaming appliances. They won't miss what we
> > were privileged to have.
>
>     I'm the same age as you but have only 2 kids. None of them is concerned
> about free software. Though I was a Physicist, none ot them is concerned
> about any kind of science. Our kids have their own personality.
>
>     Linux and Unix are for a minority of activists, and, some big
> hardware-makers and web service providers. The majority of population is
> dummies and is going to remain so. They have no idea of how it works and
> don't care.
>
>     As an example, I received a few days ago a collection of photos and
> sentences from a former french humorist. All contained in an html-formatted
> email. I wanted to save it as an html file and discovered I needed some
> editor work to make it just work. Therefore I had the opportunity to read
> the source. It contains 90% crappy nested <div> and <span> and infinitely
> repeated identical inline style="..." parameters, plus meaningless and
> useless id="60-random-or-so-characters" parameters. Clearly it has been
> assembled by a dummy with the help of a crappy commercial tool. Of course,
> the images are not contained but included as external links. The result
> looks OK but the bandwidth and disk space are damatically wasted. That's how
> bandwidth, diskspace and cpu power increases are used for nowadays.

I'd appreciate an email viewer that would show me the actual content and
not bother with all the scripting boilerplate.
I currently use mutt in a text-only terminal over an X connection.
Mostly, it works. Most HTML-only messages ae not worth looking at.
But sometimes I need to see the content of an HTML-only message.

-- hendrik