:: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get ol…
Author: onefang
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get old
On 2024-04-08 06:20:56, Erik Christiansen via Dng wrote:
>    On 08.04.24 13:19, onefang wrote:
>    > My smart phone has two Linux operating systems in it, the Android
>    > operating system, and an ancient Debian VM that I haven't used in many
>    > years.  So ancient it predated my Devuan involvement.  It's an old smart
>    > phone.  Not as old as us 60, 70, and 80 year olds though.
>    The "smart" phones aren't smart enough; mine failed to synchronise with
>    the car when I was in it, but when making a call from the other end of
>    the house, I had no voice path - the other party was saying "hello hello"
>    on the car speaker. Had to go sit in the car to complete the call. I may
>    only be 70, but I do pine for the old days. (Except for being able to
>    charge the EV off-grid, and drive on photons. Oh, and PCB CAD, like
>    Kicad. The old crepe tapes were not optimal. And cheap PCBs off the
>    internet in a week or two. Damn nifty.) But phones, nah!

That'll be why I mentioned I have a "dumb" phone for actual phone calls,
then proceeded to complain that it wasn't dumb enough. lol

On the other hand, this new "dumb" phone still has one issue with phone
calls. I've lost count of the number of times recently I've had to tell
people not to send me a verification code via SMS while I'm talking to
you, coz I'll have to hang up to read it, then have to call back. First
time that happened I ended up with a different person that also wanted to
SMS a code to me, so that I could read it back to them.

Meh, it was an emergency purchase coz my previous one died suddenly. Not
a lot of "dumb" phones in the nearby shopping centre to choose from.

As for GPS, I only used it once as actual navigation, just to see how
well it worked. Worked just as well as my usual method, glance at a map,
then start travelling. Mostly it was used as part of the VR system I got
that particular "smart" phone for, coz Google insist that the GPS system
is active when you use Bluetooth for the VR controller. Then Google
dropped Google Daydream VR into the Great Google Grave Grotto. Pisses me
off that I'm stuck with the last official update if I still want to use
that VR. I can't upgrade to some open source phone OS, it wont support
Daydream.