:: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get ol…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get old
zeitgeisteater via Dng said on Sat, 06 Apr 2024 22:59:29 +0000

>There's a risk of serious upending here at the boomer cliff.
>
>My foremost thought has been Torvalds no longer around to keep
>Poettering out. This thread is not improving my outlook.
>
>Imagine this future: Current tech stacks maintained by former Twitter
>staff.

Linus Torvalds is 54, 20 years younger than I. If he keeps control of
the Linux kernel till he's my age, I'll be safely in my grave (I hope)
before what you're saying comes to pass.

Theo de Raadt is 55, so the same applies to him.

So I'm hoping that by the time what you predict comes to pass, there
will be nobody left who cares about simplicity, modularity, POSIX,
the Unix Philosophy, Linux, or BSD. If a tree falls in the forest miles
from the nearest person, did it make a sound?

My 3 kids went straight from MS-DOS to Linux, having Linux throughout
their 4 years of high school. But when they went to college they got
Windows laptops, and never came back to Linux. When they year me talk
about Linux and modularity, they roll their eyes as if to say "there
goes Dad on his soapbox again." Nowadays their whole world is their
cell phones: Computers are gaming appliances. They won't miss what we
were privileged to have.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21