:: Re: [DNG] request for advice
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] request for advice
Le 18/07/2023 à 17:01, capercally.bleery670@??? a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 08:54:17AM -0400, tempforever wrote:
>
>> I believe there are a variety of programs that may modify this file.
> [/etc/resolv.conf]
>
> An understatement :)
>
> Which is why systemd extended its claws and tried to "help". Now you
> have to check not only the contents, but also if it is a symlink to a
> systemd managed file under /run (and there are multiple possibilities
> for that).
>
> TBH, this is one area in which the pre systemd status sucks. It would
> have been better had we agreed on a small DNS caching resolver like
> dnsmasq to run on *every* system and defaulted the libc to always
> consult 127.0.0.1#53.

    On a laptop, you can sometimes like to switch from wifi to Ethernet
and/or change place and subnet without reboot; this implies rewriting
/etc/resolv.conf, whatever the network management system. There has
existed since about two decades the package resolvconf which transforms
/etc/resolv.conf into a symlink to a file under /run. This is a good
practice, since files in /etc should better never change except by
sysadmin, and resolv.conf contains data which may change often and do
not desserve being preserved over reboot. And /run is in RAM. I also had
the issue of a bunch of cpus sharing the same /etc over nfs, but,
obviously not the same resolv.conf .

--     Didier