:: [DNG] Stuff mucking with /etc/resol…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Subject: [DNG] Stuff mucking with /etc/resolv.conf (was Re: request for advice)
Hi Steve,

Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

> tempforever said on Tue, 18 Jul 2023 08:54:17 -0400
>
>>o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
>>> It was my main system where I could not connect through.
>>> I could connect to the router, I could ping the router, the radio
>>> (past the router and I could
>>> ping 8.8.8.8 but I could NOT ping mz googly.
>>> I could also not use the browsers on my system - - - they would hang
>>> with an address unavailable.
>>>

>>If it happens again, edit your /etc/resolv.conf to use your desired
>>nameserver.  I believe there are a variety of programs that may modify
>>this file.  If you're content to not track down what is causing the
>>issue, a quick edit and save should correct it until next time.
>
> You should chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf so no stupid poetterware change
> it.

Just to keep things a bit in perspective, the /sbin/dhclient-script from
isc-dhcp-client will (attempt to) rewrite /etc/resolv.conf if your don't
edit your /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf so you don't request any of

domain-name
domain-name-servers
domain-search

and maybe more. It does request these by default.

Talking about isc-dhcp-client, I saw in the Debian 12 release notes that
that is deprecated (because ISC deprecated it)[1]. For folks using
ifupdown, like myself, the notes mention udhcpc as a possible substitute.

[1]: https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#deprecated-components

Just saying,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen