:: Re: [DNG] Testing Daedalus Installe…
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Testing Daedalus Installer ISO
On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 02:16:56PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Got it. I tried options 5-7 so far with both down arrow, as well by
> pressing number enter, and software speech comes up on all as
> expected. I haven't yet had the chance to try option 8, or to try
> doing a full install. This change will need to be documented in either
> a README file, or in the Daedalus release notes. Here's the text I
> propose:
>
> The boot menu for the devuan Daedalus installer has changed from
> previous versions. The new menu consists of eight choices, which can
> be accessed by pressing down arrow, or by typing the number of the
> desired option, and pressing enter on a system with legacy BIOS. If
> the machine on which the installation is being done has a PC speaker,
> a beep will be heard when the installer boot menu is displayed.
>
> Choices 1-4 in the menu are for installation without software speech
> and are:
>
> 1 = default installation
> 2 = expert installation
> 3 = rescue mode
> 4 = automated installation
>
> Choices 5-8 are for installation with software speech, and follow the
> order of choices 1-4 above:
>
> 5 = default installation with software speech
> 6 = expert installation with software speech
> 7 = rescue mode with software speech
> 8 = automated installation with software speech
>
> I also haven't yet tested how this works using UEFI, I should be able
> to try that in VirtualBox. I will report back when I have had a chance
> to do a full install, try things under UEFI, and test with a braille
> display. It would also be good to know if the menu wraps or not. I
> pressed down arrow more than eight times, and didn't hear the PC
> speaker produce another beep. So I'm guessing the beep isn't produced
> by the first option, or that the menu doesn't wrap.

Thanks for that text which will go into the README.txt.

The menu does not wrap, but there is an additional Help option at the
bottom, selectable by H (or arrow down). That option leads to the 10
help text pages, all text and no sound, which are also selectable
directly by funtion key F1 to F10. The escape key at any time resets
to the front meny with option 1 in focus.

It might be value in collating those help pages into an additional
text document on the IS as well.

regards,

Ralph.