:: Re: [DNG] Testing Daedalus Installe…
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: Ralph Ronnquist
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Testing Daedalus Installer ISO
On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 05:24:03PM +1000, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> Thank you for raising this! I overlooked the actually obvious point
> that likely a print-disabled person would initially struggle with this
> change, which I merely thought of as a menu simplification.
>
> This new installer menu has a single level with 8 options consisting
> of 4 options without speech and the same 4 options with speech
> enabled. The selection is by option number 1-4 or 5-8. Thus, 1 and 5
> select default installation, 2 and 6 select expert installation, 3 and
> 7 select rescue mode, and 4 and 8 select automated installation.
>
> Apart from that, the installation options are supposed to work like
> before. It's very useful if you can test and confirm especially the
> speech enabled options. Further thoughts and suggestions about the
> boot menu are also appreciated.

Got it. I tried options 5-7 so far with both down arrow, as well by
pressing number enter, and software speech comes up on all as
expected. I haven't yet had the chance to try option 8, or to try
doing a full install. This change will need to be documented in either
a README file, or in the Daedalus release notes. Here's the text I
propose:

The boot menu for the devuan Daedalus installer has changed from
previous versions. The new menu consists of eight choices, which can
be accessed by pressing down arrow, or by typing the number of the
desired option, and pressing enter on a system with legacy BIOS. If
the machine on which the installation is being done has a PC speaker,
a beep will be heard when the installer boot menu is displayed.

Choices 1-4 in the menu are for installation without software speech
and are:

1 = default installation
2 = expert installation
3 = rescue mode
4 = automated installation

Choices 5-8 are for installation with software speech, and follow the
order of choices 1-4 above:

5 = default installation with software speech
6 = expert installation with software speech
7 = rescue mode with software speech
8 = automated installation with software speech

I also haven't yet tested how this works using UEFI, I should be able
to try that in VirtualBox. I will report back when I have had a chance
to do a full install, try things under UEFI, and test with a braille
display. It would also be good to know if the menu wraps or not. I
pressed down arrow more than eight times, and didn't hear the PC
speaker produce another beep. So I'm guessing the beep isn't produced
by the first option, or that the menu doesn't wrap.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1