:: Re: [devuan-dev] Should Devuan prov…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Mark Hindley
CC: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Should Devuan provide container images for archived releases?
Hi Mark, list,

Mark Hindley <mark@???> writes:

> Olaf,
>
> Sorry for my understanding you.

s/understanding/misunderstanding/ ;-)

> My personal opinion is that ascii is finished. The archive.devuan.org repository
> is a, hopefully useful, convenience for people who have old systems and require
> it for upgrading purposes or can't upgrade (I still have an AMD K6 system that
> has to run jessie!). But the packages are insecure, buggy and unsupported and we
> shouldn't be encouraging anybody to use them.
>
> So, IMO certainly not new or updated images. If you want to document how to
> change the existing Dockerfiles, that seems OK. But I can't really see why
> anybody would want still to use them. But maybe I just lack the imagination!
>
> But others may have differing views...?

If there were any, I haven't seen them. I've updated the Overview pages
on the Docker Hub for both devuan/devuan and devuan/migrated to mention
how one can fix the APT sources if absolutely necessary. I won't build
any kind of devuan/eol:ascii or devuan/archived:ascii images.

That said, if someone can't suppress the urge to add support for images
like that, pull requests are of course welcome.
# BTW, my preference is for devuan/archived in that case.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen