:: Re: [DNG] OT: Wanted: small linux i…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Anatomy of a footgun (was: Wanted: small linux iso with rsync
Subject: Re: [DNG] OT: Wanted: small linux iso with rsync
Joel Roth via Dng said on Tue, 21 Mar 2023 22:01:59 -1000

>Hi list,
>
>Subject line says it all. I'd like a live iso of a small
>utility distribution like dsl. It must be a fairly recent
>kernel and have rsync.

Hi Joel,

Great to talk to you again. I still remember the Modular Debian email
list: Thanks for that.

My goto distro for backup, transfer and troubleshooting is System
Rescue CD. It has rsync:

https://www.system-rescue.org/manual/Backup_and_transfer_your_data_using_rsync/

It inits with systemd but I don't care, because it's an appliance, and
I never DIY my appliances.

IIRC System Rescue CD has a nice RAM tester you booot into, Gparted,
ddrescue, blkid, lsblock, and a whole bunch of other stuff you need to
rescue data or bootability. See
https://www.system-rescue.org/System-tools/ for its tools.

It has LVM tools if you drive on that side of the street. System Rescue
CD can be installed on a thumb drive, and I think also on a DVD, which
I personally prefer, always assuming it works (with UEFI you never know
what will and won't boot).

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt