:: Re: [DNG] OT: Wanted: small linux i…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] OT: Wanted: small linux iso with rsync
On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:26:36AM +0200, Lars Noodén via Dng wrote:
> On 3/22/23 10:01, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> > ... I'd like a live iso of a small
> > utility distribution like dsl. It must be a fairly recent
> > kernel and have rsync...
>
> Which others have you tried so far? Finnix is a good, live distro with lots
> of system administration utilities, including rsync 3.2.3 with protocol 31,

> The kernel is 5.16.0, but perhaps that is recent enough?
>
> Finnix weighs in at 455 MB (412 MiB)

Thanks for the pointer, Lars.

Finnix is helpful. Interesting to watch systemd booting.
(I'd previously tried TinyCore, PureTinyCore and alpine standard.)
I also found some older live distributions that work okay
for my purposes, among them jessie minimal v2 with vdev.
I thought I needed recent drivers, but it appears I am
managing okay with old gold.

Because of not having any USB memory keys around, I dipped
into the dark world of CD/DVD drives and media. The blank
media were stale and it took several tries to get something
that would boot without choking on a media defect.

--
Joel Roth