:: Re: [DNG] init systems
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] init systems
Charles via Dng said on Tue, 07 Mar 2023 17:06:45 +0000

>All,
>I've been enjoying the thread on init (for lack of a better word)
>systems. This is an area in which I have no clue.
>
>Does anyone have any thoughts on using openrc vs runit, s6, etc?
>Hopefully I didn't miss a thread on it.

This is my personal prejudice, but I consider runit and s6 better than
OpenRC. The way OpenRC init scripts are used in the wild, they're
almost as long as those for sysvinit, which is way too long for my
taste. I consider OpenRC to be better than sysvinit, and sysvinit to be
better than systemd.

I'd also like to point out that using sysvinit's PID1 and the process
supervisor for runit or s6 is a great way to do things.

SteveT

Steve Litt