:: Re: [DNG] running with separate / a…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] running with separate / and /usr

Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

> tito via Dng said on Tue, 17 Jan 2023 08:14:58 +0100
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I always used WD RE 500 GB SATA HDs in my Nas boxes and they
>>lasted years, some of them almost decades and are still happily
>>spinning, just by scrubbing the raids daily, using smartd and good
>>right-sized PSUs.
>
> Let me ask this: Has anybody here had an SSD or NVMe go bad or become
> read-only? I haven't. It just might be that the only reason spinning
> rust seems to last longer is because it's been installed longer. It's
> very possible that a reasonably cared for SSD/NVMe might last a decade
> too.

I had an NVMe go bad after six or seven months. I don't know for sure
but I think that was triggered by power outages (twice due to thunder,
once by the breaker switch flipping due to overload).

I put the machine on UPS and the system on RAID-1 on two NVMe drives.

On the other hand, the HP ZBook at the office is running on a single
NVMe for, I think, 7 years now. I remember having to live-patch a
script during the installation just to get it to recognize the NVMe
disk. I haven't taken any special care of the NVMe. TTBOMK, I haven't
made any tweaks to run fstrim on anything on any kind of schedule.

That ZBook has been seeing a lot of I/O activity. I use containers a
lot, upgrade images frequently, run monthly upgrade tests with new data
sets of over 50GB and did all my day-to-day development work on it. For
a while it also ran four VMs in a Kubernetes cluster used for CI jobs.

Even with all that it's still running fine.

> [...]

Hope this helps.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen