:: Re: [DNG] running with separate / a…
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] running with separate / and /usr
On Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:10:35 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> The Original Linux Fan via Dng said on Mon, 16 Jan 2023 13:24:24 -0800
>
> >SSD's may be much faster, but they don't have
> >the lifetime.  So, many of us consider SSD's to be
> >throw-away devices, that need the fewest writes,
> >and regular backup.
>
> I wouldn't be too sure of your preceding paragraph. My old computer's
> SSD lasted 4 years and then I retired the computer, so I assume it's
> still working. My current computer's NVMe is 13 months old and still
> working just fine. My rule of thumb is I expect spinning rust (or NVMe
> or SSD) to last 3 years: Anything beyond that is an unexpected goodie.

Hi,

I always used WD RE 500 GB SATA HDs in my Nas boxes and they
lasted years, some of them almost decades and are still happily spinning,
just by scrubbing the raids daily, using smartd and good right-sized PSUs.
One more point for HDs vs SSD/NVMe is that really important stuff even
if the electronics fry or the house burns down could be recovered
from the platters (Yes I know it costs a lot).

> I think an SSD or NVMe stands an excellent chance of lasting 5 years if
> you handle it like I do:
>
> 1) Use no more than 15% of the SSD/NVMe.

Like having a Ferrari car and never pushing the gas throttle more
than 15% ?
Doesn't this increase the cost per GB almost 10 times?

> 2) Put /usr and /var, etc, on the SSD/NVMe, but not /home or other data

On /var there are lots of writes (same on /run) and rough processes
can fill it up breaking the system so it is good practice to put it
on a separate partition.

Ciao,
Tito