:: Re: [DNG] running with separate / a…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] running with separate / and /usr
Le 18/01/2023 à 00:32, Steve Litt a écrit :
> Let me ask this: Has anybody here had an SSD or NVMe go bad or become
> read-only? I haven't. It just might be that the only reason spinning
> rust seems to last longer is because it's been installed longer. It's
> very possible that a reasonably cared for SSD/NVMe might last a decade
> too.

    I have been using SSDs for a almost a decade and never saw a
failure. My laptop had an initial 256GB SSD and I replaced it with a
512GB a few years ago only to get more space; the old one has been
recycled to an older laptop which isn't used very much, therefore I can
only tell that both have lasted at least 4 years. They are not
overloaded but much more than 15%. I'd say 60%. With 16GB RAM, I do not
use swap. The older laptop had a CD reader which I replaced with a disk,
therefore has two SSDs, one for OS and one for /home.

    On my desktop, I have the OS on one SSD and /home on a RAID1 made
of a 1TB SSD and a 1TB spinning disk. The swap is on an old little
spinning disk. I have made this config 3 years ago, but the SSD has been
in use for more than 5 years. I'm not afraid even if I'm lazzy about
backup. However I consider tha major motivation for backup is human
error, not disk failure. Recently my wife deleted her Desktop directory
because she didn't know what it was... of course, she noticed the result
immediately (~:

--     Didier